When child custody is at stake, you want to advocate for your children’s best interests. Obtaining the assistance of an attorney is usually helpful in this regard. You want a lawyer who takes your case seriously and pays attention to your needs. But how can you choose the best child custody attorney for your case?
Researching Child Custody Lawyers
When it comes to researching child custody lawyers, there are a few methods you can use:
- Ask Friends and Family. One way to start your search for a good child custody lawyer is by asking for referrals. Of course, you don’t want to rely solely on your friends or relatives “knowing someone.” Your situation is unique and serious. So, you’ll want to add a more hands-on approach to your research.
- Online Reviews. Another great way to research child custody lawyers is by reading online reviews. This will give you insight into different lawyers’ and firms’ reputations and what you might expect when working with them.
- Make Phone Calls. After you’ve completed your online research and compiled a shortlist of child custody lawyers, contact each one to schedule a meeting to discuss your case. Take good notes during each meeting so you can compare each attorney.
What to Look for in a Child Custody Attorney
Here are a few qualities that you should look for:
- Child custody laws vary from state to state, so it’s important to choose a lawyer who has experience handling child custody cases in North Carolina. You also want to find a child custody lawyer who has experience in handling cases with circumstances similar to yours.
- Communication Skills. Communication is one of the most important aspects of any relationship. You need a lawyer who is good at communicating with both you and the other side to negotiate effectively.
- Things can change quickly during a child custody case, and you may need access to your lawyer at short notice. Choose someone always available to answer your questions and help resolve any unexpected issues.
- Financial Compatibility. Be sure you discuss and understand the attorney’s fee structure so you can work within your budget constraints. This can help you reduce the chance of adding to your stress financially.
Contact GPS Law Group for Compassionate Family Law Services
At GPS Law Group, we recognize that child custody matters should not be taken lightly. We are well-versed in legal processes and family law in North Carolina and can guide you through the necessary steps with understanding and compassion.
During this challenging time, don’t try to handle things independently. Seek the services of an understanding and knowledgeable child custody lawyer who will work for your and your children’s best interests. Please contact us at (704) 549-1950 to schedule a consultation regarding your current situation. GPS Law Group proudly serves Charlotte, North Carolina, and the surrounding communities.