When you are charged with driving under the influence (DUI) in North Carolina, you may feel like you are facing the impossible. The consequences of a DUI conviction can be life-changing, and you may feel like you have no options. This is where a DUI defense attorney can help. A DUI defense attorney will thoroughly investigate your case to look for possible defenses.
There are many possible defenses to DUI charges, and the best defense will depend on the facts and circumstances of your case. Some common defenses to DUI charges include:
- The stop was illegal. If the police did not have a valid reason for stopping your vehicle, then any evidence obtained as a result of the stop may be suppressed. This could include things like the results of a field sobriety test or breathalyzer test.
- The field sobriety test was administered improperly. Field sobriety tests are notoriously inaccurate and are often administered improperly. If the field sobriety test was not administered properly, the results may be inaccurate and not admissible in court.
- The breathalyzer test was administered improperly. Breathalyzer tests are also notoriously inaccurate and are often administered improperly. If the breathalyzer test was not administered properly, then the results may be inaccurate and may not be admissible in court.
- There was a medical condition that caused the high BAC. Many medical conditions can cause a high blood alcohol concentration (BAC), even if the person has not been drinking. If you have a medical condition that could have caused your high BAC, this may be a valid defense.
- The results of the test were inaccurate. Even if the test was administered properly, there is always a chance that the results were inaccurate. This could be due to several factors, including the machine not being calibrated properly, the machine being old or outdated, or the operator not being properly trained.
These are just a few of the possible defenses to DUI charges. If you are facing DUI charges, it is important to consult with an experienced DUI defense attorney to discuss your case and explore your options.
A DUI Attorney is Essential for Your Defense
An experienced DUI defense attorney will work to negotiate with the prosecutor to get the charges against you reduced or dismissed. In some cases, they may even be able to get your case thrown out entirely.
A DUI conviction can result in jail time, a loss of your driver’s license, and a permanent criminal record. You may also be required to pay hefty fines and fees, and your insurance rates will likely increase. A DUI defense attorney will work to minimize the consequences you face so that you can move on with your life.
Legal Help You Can Trust
If you have been charged with a DUI in North Carolina, you need the best possible representation to ensure that your rights are protected. The experienced and knowledgeable attorneys at GPS Law Group will work tirelessly to ensure you receive a fair trial. They will investigate the circumstances of your arrest and challenge the evidence against you. They will also work to negotiate a favorable plea agreement on your behalf if that is in your best interests.
Don’t delay in seeking out the help you need. The sooner you contact GPS Law Group, the sooner we can begin working on your defense. We understand the seriousness of the charges against you and will do everything in our power to help you achieve the best possible outcome. Call us at (704) 549-1950 or use our online contact form to send a message and set up a free consultation.
We serve Charlotte, North Carolina, and the surrounding communities.