Divorce is not easy. Some divorcing couples engage in bitter battles about alimony, child support, or even whether the marriage should end. But not all divorces are like that. Some couples can agree on the reasons for divorce, the division of assets, and the terms of custody and financial support for their children.
When both parties are in a divorce agreement in this manner, it’s called an uncontested divorce. In most cases, this allows a couple to get legally divorced without having to go to trial and have a judge decide the terms of the divorce. If you are in this situation, you may be wondering if it’s really necessary to hire a divorce attorney, especially if you and your spouse have already reached agreements on all the essentials.
Should You Get a Divorce Attorney?
Although you can pursue an uncontested divorce without a lawyer, there are several reasons why hiring one can be helpful. Let’s explore the benefits of getting a divorce attorney during an uncontested divorce.
- Increased efficiency. One of the main benefits of having a lawyer in an uncontested divorce is that it can help to speed up the process. By working with a divorce attorney, couples can make sure that all the necessary paperwork is filed correctly and on time. This helps to ensure that the divorce process goes as smoothly as possible.
- Reduced stress. Divorce attorneys are experienced in dealing with legal proceedings, and they can help guide couples through the process step-by-step. This can help minimize stress and ensure that both parties remain calm throughout the entire process.
- Expert advice and representation. Divorce attorneys are experts in family law, and they can provide valuable advice and support throughout the entire process.
- Safeguard against errors. Mistakes made during the divorce process can have serious consequences. Due to their expert knowledge, a divorce attorney will protect you from making any time-consuming or costly errors and help to ensure that your interests are represented accurately.
- Complex matters are appropriately handled. Even if you and your ex-spouse have reached certain agreements regarding complex matters or significant assets, it still may be wise to have your attorney review the decisions. This may ensure that everything agreed upon aligns with your best interests.
Contact Skillful Divorce Attorneys in Charlotte, NC
Family law can be complex and sometimes confusing, even in an uncontested divorce. At GPS Law Group, we have a combined 58 years of family law experience. We will use our skills to get you the best possible outcome so you can move forward with your life. Contact us at 704-549-1950 to schedule a consultation.
GPS Law Group proudly serves Charlotte, North Carolina, and the surrounding communities.